Heavenly Cinnamon-Apple Cake
Preparation time: Approx. 90 min. (Including baking time)
fFor 1 cake mold (24 cm)
250g flour (smooth)
1 teaspoon baking powder
120g butter (cold)
560 ml apple juice
60g corn starch
3/4 kg apples
pulp of a vanilla pod
1 teaspoon cinnamon
125 ml cream
cinnamon to taste
From the region
1. For the short pastry, mix the flour with baking powder. Quickly add the cold butter in pieces, the honey and the egg. Form a ball and wrap it in a clear film. Refrigerate.
2. For the filling, cut the apples into smaller cubes. Steam the apple pieces in a bit of water with the cinnamon for 3 minutes, lid closed. Set aside.
3. Place the apple juice in a pot and boil. Peel the vanilla pod and add the pulp to the apple juice. Add the honey. Then let the corn starch trickle in slowly while constantly stirring, and slowly boil, until a firmer consistency – comparable to pudding – develops. Remove from the stove and carefully stir in the apple pieces.
4. Grease the cake mold. Roll the short pastry dough on a floured surface. Fill the cake mold with it. Remove the remaining pastry residues and use later for the cake edge.
5. Place the apple mixture on the bottom of the cake and bake for about 55 minutes at 170 degrees. Allow the cake to cool before serving, and decorate it with the whipped cream, then dust with cinnamon.
If you want to prepare the cake for the next day, leave out the topping and whip up the cream with cream stiffener just before serving – this lets it look prettier for a longer period of time.